Physical Education and Sports
Our institute was founded as Scholl of Physical Education and Sports in 1992-1993 Academic year. In 25th January 2016 it has been transformed into Faculty of Sports Sciences. Our department is one of three departments forming Faculty of Sports Sciences. 4 year undergraduate education is given in our department.
The Bachelor's Degree in Physical Education and Sport Teacher( first cycle in Physical Education and Sport Teacher) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “General Admission Requirements” of Information on the Institution part are applied for admission of students.
Specific Arrangements For Recognition Of Prior Learning (Formal, Non-Formal and Informal)
The rules and regulations for recognition of formal prior learning are well defined. Transfer can be made among the institutions of which equivalency is recognized by Higher Education Council. Also successful vocational school graduates to continue their education to obtain Bachelor’s degrees if they are successful in the selection and the placement examination (DGS, i.e. vertical transfer examination) are admitted. The courses to be taken by these students are determined by the relevant department, on the basis of courses they have completed in the programs from which they have graduated. Recognition of prior non-formal and in-formal learning is at the beginning stage in Turkish Higher Education Institutions. Ege University and hence of the Department is not an exception to this. However, exams of exemption are organized at the start of each year at the University for the courses of English Language and Computer Skills. The students who have completed the proficiencies for these courses on his/her own or through other means, and believe that they have achieved the learning outcomes specified are given the right to take the exemption exam. The students who achieve a passing grade from these exams are held exempt from the related course in the curriculum.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 2.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme (equivalent to a total of 240 ECTS).
Profile of The Programme
Education program is determined by YÖK. Consists of 4 years and 8 semesters
Occupational Profiles of Graduates With Examples
Physical Education and Sport Teacher
Access to Further Studies
The graduates holding Bachelor’s Degree are eligible to apply to Master’s Degree programmers at national level and /or international level both in the same and in related disciplines.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and Grading
Midterm and final exams are done. Practical or theoretical tests are applied
Graduation requirements are explained in the section “Qualification Requirements and Regulations” .
Mode of Study (Full-Time, Part-Time, E-Learning )
Address, Programme Director or Equivalent
Assistant Professor Ayşe Meliha Canpolat
Ege University School of Physical Education and Sport Bornova/İzmir-Türkiye
Existing qualifications of teaching staff is high and all sport facilities in the Ege University
Key Learning Outcomes
- Ability to use concepts, assumptions, debates and research methods o basic, applied and social sciences.
- Ability to define and describe the even from its philosophical, historical, sociological and economic aspects.
- Ability to use the major concepts, assumptions, debates and research methods of physical education and sports.
- Ability to understand a conceptual framework of knowledge and its effects to students learning
- Ability to understand the locus of knowledge inside the curriculum implemented, by associating with other subject areas.
- Ability to understand structural nature of the specific knowledge is complex, constantly changing and continuous.
- Ability to transfer, how the knowledge which is changing from different point of views.
- Ability to establish relationships between daily life and developments up to data.
- Ability to participate professional activities of the field and teaching in the field
- Ability to recognize various characteristics of students (physical, social, mental, emotional, and psychomotor)
- Ability to perceptualize the importance of individual differences, intrinsic and extrinsic motivation, and studying habits in permanent and significant learning
- Ability to create significant learning experiences by understanding basic concepts, research and analysis tools, and structure of the field
- Ability to apply various teaching strategies to encourage developments of critical thinking, problem solving and performance skills.
- Ability to apply the principles and strategies of individual and group management required to create a learning environment which involves student s active participation, significant and permanent learning, and safety.
- Ability to use of formal and informal assessment strategies in order to assess student s cognitive, emotional, social and physical development continuously.
- Ability to apply career guidance in self identification, school adaptation, physical development, extracurricular activities, performance levels, learning and studying habits, interests and skills.
- Ability to create learning opportunities to support the students’ professional, social and personal development by helping basic reading, writing, mathematics, communication and other vital skills.
- Ability to create facilities and opportunities fitting the characteristics of students in need of special education, physically, mentally and psychologically
- Ability to create learning opportunities to support adolescents to develop intellectually, professionally, socially and personally by knowing how they learn and develop.
- Ability to communicate with parents, colleagues and non-governmental organizations to support learning and individual development of students
- Ability to show sensitivity to basic principles, goals, problems, and future of the education system.
- Ability to act ethically in teaching profession.
- Ability to develop strategies in creating a culture of sport in the society , introducing various sports and promoting participation in sports
- Ability to reveal talented athletes in different sports branches, using the criteria for screening and talent selection in sports.